6.02.2006

Exploring the Local Graffiti

Today I had to walk my way down to the post office to mail my little brother a birthday present. He is only six years old so any mail is exciting to him. Anyways, I used the opportunity to explore the neighborhood a little bit. As always, I had my camera with me to snap a few shots of anything that popped up around me.
What I found the most during my exploring was graffiti, and alot of it. Some of it was very planned out and highly artistic, while other stuff was just a mix of flyers, stickers, paint and other crap that together made an interesting composition.
Some of the walls stretched almost a full block of the sa
me piece of graffiti. It made me wonder how the people did these, because if graffiti is illegal then they wouldn't have much time to do it. I'm sure some of these took quite a few hours to do, and personally I think they make the wall look better. Who wants to look at the same brown and grey brick over and over and over. The graffiti gives the area a personality and a sense of life.
The parts that were more of a collection of many random media reminded me of collaborative art projects. Those are pieces where one person starts it and does his/her part, then hands it off to another person who adds something else and hands it off to another, etc. I like these because it makes for a very interesting art work with many layers, each with a different style and touch. I also like them based on the process of the work, not just the finished product, which is probably what I like about art the most, the process.
There is only so much I can say about graffiti, so I will let the pics do the rest of the talking. I'll leave on the note that if there were a museum of purely graffiti, I would definitely check it out. There probably is something like this, I just haven't found it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment